Friday, March 20, 2009

I am no longer a Virgin!!


My First Blue Swimmer Crab



Nick and I outside the famous Cornish Kitchen


Day 22

The Title has you all intrigued!! I can hear you all saying..."so whats new??" Read todays blog to find out...


Wake to the most glorious morning with no wind and the water calm. Nick, Alan and I go for a bike ride around the town and on one of the many heritage trails most of these S.A. country towns have. Lots of mine ruins and old churches and houses. We ride to the Cornish Kitchen in the centre of town and introduce Wendy and Nick to the famous Cornish pasties. Just what you need after an hour of cycling!! It’s getting warm and I decide to purchase a couple of crab pots bait and get instruction from the lady in the shop. We all head out to the jetty and while Alan and Nick swim and Wendy and Lucy (their little dog) chat to passersby, I set about to catch some crabs for lunch. I can almost taste them with a cold beer....enough dreaming tho; I will have to get them first. I notice a couple who seem to know what they are doing so get some instruction from Barry and Liz and watch as they haul in crab after crab next to my pots. 12 I think they get!! Alan says I should not be so impatient and leave them in for longer than 1 minute but it is difficult when Barry is taking all the crabs in the area!! Alan and Wendy and Nick decide to head back for bread and butter and a cold beer. Barry and Liz also leave to have their lovely fresh crabs...and beer. I am not leaving till I get one!! No sooner did they all leave than I got my first crab, which was undersize and I have to throw back, but exciting nevertheless. Before too long I got 3 and have learned how to pick them up too and when things got quiet I headed back to camp to show the others my haul. As I write this the blue swimmers are in a bucket awaiting a pot of boiling water and we will have them for entree tonight. Wendy is preparing a yummy chicken dinner (I don’t think 3 crabs will fill 4 of us up) but I know I will enjoy them all the more having caught them myself! ...


So I am no longer a blue swimmer crab catcher..Virgin!!

5 comments:

  1. Getting 3 for a first timer (I'm impressed). Maybe Barry and Liz were using cornish pasties as bait. Looks like fun and the sun set is beautiful.
    Chez frangi

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you missed out the tee prize ,Alex in the members canteen won ,Thanks for the lovely flowers ,Wall loved his garden ,Hope all is well your trip looks and sounds exciting so keep it coming unfortunately no gossip at this stage but leave it with me cheers for now Steve and Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So proud you caught crabs!!! xx

    ReplyDelete