Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I walked the Bibbulmun Track and lived to tell the tale!!





Oh No 14 km to go!!!



Amazing views looking west

Day 48
Another overcast morning, about 17 degrees. Alan wants to head north soon as it is steadily getting cooler down this south west corner. Al drives me to the start of the Bibbulmun track at the wind farm, about 14km out of town. I have supplies and plan my walk to end in town about 5:30pm. Alan drops me off at 10:30am. I walk 2 and a half hours west and stop many times to take photos of both scenery and the beautiful wildflowers along the way. This is probably THE most magnificent walk I have ever done with the track winding through bush along the coastline with views of sheer cliffs, wind turbines, and waves crashing on the rocks below!!There is not much wind today and the sea is calm and not too hot so absolutely perfect for a little hike....After a quick lunch at 1:30pm it was time to walk back but as my legs got weary it became a bit of a chore and the excitement of the walk was starting to wear off. I got back to the wind farm at 4pm and the sign said 14km to Albany...I am very excited at this stage... as you can imagine.....my legs are cramping and I am starting to ration the last of my water but I have my IPod on some very inspirational music...some heavy rock that Sarah has loaded for me.. So with that, I press on. With the sun setting fast tho, I start to wonder whether my legs will make it back to the pickup point for Al!! About 5pm I make phone contact with Alan who starts searching for the land marks that I tell him I see, not sure why he can’t see the telegraph pole and sand track that I am talking about!!It’s within an area of a couple km!!! Anyway to cut this story a little shorter I finally find the main road after about another hour and my wonderful saviour has a cold Crown Lager for me...What a guy!! I think I have covered about 40km in 7 and half hours...No marathon time I know but it was tough going out in the bush!! I have some amazing photos....and very sore feet!! From an incredible day. By the way Al played some great golf on The Albany Golf Course and he described it as a nice little links course. He played with a couple of locals and had 30points so his day was fun too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment